3 July 2007

Foodie Days

Sometimes there is nothing better than escaping the rat race and having a day off to enjoy baking; which is exactly what I did yesterday. I am already on a mission with my Christmas cakes (really) and only have about another three jars of pre-macerated fruit to go, which I started (huge amount of fruit glut) preparing last year (macerate when it's sweet, marinate when it's not).

My tip? When making a cake, stick in whatever dried fruit you like and then just make sure you have enough fruit to add to the cake mix. Do note, as I found out yesterday, that fig seeds appear to rise to the top providing a slightly grainy texture. I just used the reipe in Leiths Baking Bible and I have to say - it looks superb and the texture of the cake looks lovely and moist.

I also made a self saucing Raspberry dessert yesterday which on reheating. I did appear to very cook - but it was still tasty. The recipe comes from an old M and S desert cook book which my friedn A bought me to cheer me up, lawd bless him. I'm at work at the moment so haven't got it to hand but will post again later.

I had to use eggs in this and it was rather gory as there appeared to be a blood clot in it, which went everywhere. I felt quite ill.

I have to say that on the whole, I really enjoyed my day - just pootling along and adding the radio and the chance to peruse my books into the mix, was bliss - however, Idid have to wash up a lot.....

No comments: